Archive for month: August, 2016
Listen to Your Body
In my last post, I suggested that if you are having health issues, experiencing chronic pain, or are stressed, something is calling for your attention. We are going to dig a little deeper into how to “answer your call”: listen to your body.
Stress, pain, and health issues are a part of being human. Therefore, we will continue to experience them to some degree as long as we are living, breathing human beings.
However, that doesn’t mean you have to let them rule your life. They can be a rich opportunity to engage intentionally, proactively, co-creatively to in creating your reality, which may reduce and/or eliminate them depending upon their root causes. . And, if you can’t eliminate them, you can still approach them as an opportunity to learn, and grow. You can listen to your body, and your inner wisdom.
Richer Life Because of the Crisis? Survive, or THRIVE …..
Most of us know at least one story of someone who dealt with a crisis, or a life-limiting illness, and who’s life became richer as a result. They had a wake-up call. Their perspective changed. They saw themselves and their lives differently, and responded.
What if that was their fate to experience the crisis because they didn’t answer “their call” sooner? What if it serves some bigger purpose?What if answering that “call”, is in essence, looking at the bigger picture in a deeper way by following the guidance built within you toward health and wellness, and a greater way of Being?
What if you were to tune in, listen to your body deeply, and respond NOW, averting the crisis, and enriching your life sooner rather than later? Maybe you won’t avert it, but by tuning in you can at least weather the crisis with greater ease and peace.
Would you rather thrive now, or simply survive?
3 Steps to More Energy, Peace, and Joy
As humans, we can only change so much, so fast. And, we are all built certain ways that seem intended to always be. But what if you became the best version of yourself, with the least stress, and best health you can have?
Tune into your body and ask yourself:
- What do I notice in my body?
- How does my body feel?
- Where do I not feel well?
- Do I feel open, closed, tight, loose, heavy, light etc.?
- Do I feel balanced and equal from side to side?
Pay attention to the areas in which you are experiencing discomfort, dis-ease, or imbalance.
- What functions do they perform?
- How are they used?
- What common metaphors might be associated with their function?
Let’s look at the example I mentioned in another previous post, the common problem of a stiff or sore neck. Asking the questions above, you may answer the following ways:
- Your neck holds your head up.
- It turns your head so you can look around.
- It allows you to bow your head in grace.
- Your neck is a connection between your head and the rest of you, especially your heart (interesting factoid from embryology here: early on in development, your heart is “above” your brain, and they eventually switch; there remains a connection in the 3rd cervical spinal segment to your heart).
3. Look at the way you are currently meeting, experiencing, and/or living life, including the themes and the metaphors that apply.
- How would you describe the way you are meeting/experiencing/living life? Struggling? With grace and ease? In between? Avoiding it? Facing it head-on?
- What themes/issues are in your common stresses?
- What metaphors might describe your situation in 1 & 2 above?
- Having trouble keeping your head above water?
- Having trouble holding your head up high?
- Sticking your neck out?
- Feeling challenged to look at and know what is around you, or change your perspective?
- Always looking over your shoulder?
- Are your head and your heart fighting each other?
Listen to Your Body – Connect the Dots
With practice, you will begin to notice the relationships between what is going on in your life, and what is going on in your body. There are patterns between physical sensations, and issues, and what is going on in your life. Once you notice the patterns, you can make new choices for your life and health from an “informed” place of awareness to address your health, and your life.
Why is This Important?
Isn’t this a different perspective, which offers insight and real solutions? Doesn’t it make sense to go deeper and discover the causes of your stress and pain?
Yes, you may benefit from changing your pillow, or getting a new recliner, having a massage, or taking pain relievers. However, if you are still struggling with the same life issues, your neck is still taking the hit, and prone to succumbing because your body still instinctively works in the same way despite the symptomatic relief you are applying. Your body is programmed to survive, but not necessarily thrive.
You Can Intercept the Program…
When you are aware of what is happening within you, you can intercept the process and improve your quality of life.
Looking at what is going on inside your mind relative to what is going on in your life, and connecting that to what is going on in your body can give you clues to how you can adjust your perspective, thinking, beliefs, and approach. Those adjustments and course-corrections can bring different results. Then you are solving the problem with a “different mind than the one that created it”.
Change originates inside of you that way. This is an inside-out approach to wellness.
Listen to your body and your inner wisdom. What are they telling you? How can you look at things differently from a higher perspective? How can you respond, i.e. course-correct?
How can you adjust your thinking so that you are less stressed? You will feel better and be healthier for it.
Listen to your body and your inner wisdom. I have found with many clients just having the awareness of what they are really thinking, how that makes them feel, and the effect that has on their body opens the door for new ways of thinking, doing, and being. It happens organically. And, they are better for it.
If you would like help listening to your body and your inner wisdom to discover the roots of your stress and pain, so you can create more energy, joy, and peace for yourself, contact me today for a complimentary consultation.
If you have trouble fitting yourself into your own priority list at all, grab your copy of my fr*e cheat sheet: “Seamlessly Fit You Into Your Busy Schedule” for 3 easy steps, and 7 simple ways to create “ME Time” today: